Monday, July 19, 2010

Garden Party Or Not….You Have To Please Yourself

I was off line for a day while we were without WiFi coverage recently.  When I was able to log on the next day I was interested to read some blog postings or comments on blogs regarding the whole matter of Reader/Follower comments and the issue of the number of Followers on various blogs.  Wow!  Quite an assortment of ideas and opinions.  I wasn’t going to touch this one with a 10-foot pole but then decided….it’s MY blog I’m writing on, so why not?

First of all, I appreciated all the ideas and opinions that were thrown out there for the common good.  After all, blogs are first and foremost opinions and ideas.  But everything I read did remind me of what singer Rick Nelson wrote after being booed off the stage in a concert in 1971.  He consequently wrote the song Garden Party and it was released as a single in 1972.  Part of the lyrics were:

But it’s all right now, I’ve learned my lesson well

You see, you can’t please everyone, so you’ve got to please yourself”

Those lyrics express my thoughts on the subject of blogs and comments.  I started my blog with the first post on August 24, 2008.  No followers and no comments.  A couple of posts later I got my first comment from my cousin.  WooHoo, I was excited to see a comment!!!   A couple of posts later I got my first Follower…..again my cousin, Gail.   WooHoo, I was excited to see I actually had a Follower (and I didn’t really have a clue what a Follower was). 

                                        A person parasailing at Walt Disney World.DSCF3615

Back in the beginning I was anything but a daily blogger.  From Dec. 16, 2008 to April 21, 2009 I only posted 17 times…..and found NO comments.  I did not give up since I wasn’t blogging just for comments.  By June 18, 2009 I had received 3 comments.  I still did not give up and I wasn’t even sure if anyone was reading my posts.  I had no Sitemeter or counter….so, who knew?  After blogging for a year I began doing almost daily posts, beginning on August 6, 2009.  I then began to see some comments.  Was I excited?  Yeah.  Mainly I was excited because I could follow up on the comment to see who wrote it, which allowed me to find other RV bloggers out there that I hadn’t known existed. 

                                       A closer look showed a tandem pair of parasailers.DSCF3617

As I began reading more and more by the RV bloggers, I began to “Follow” them.  That allowed me to read them as often as they posted and I could put them on my Blog List for others to find.  Mutual consideration is nice.  I was really amazed at how wonderful the other blogs looked, and I tried to figure out how to make mine look better and read easier.   I’m no techno-wiz and it has been a slow and difficult process for me.  I’ve screwed it up more times than I can count.  Then I decided…again to please myself…that I just would make my blog look the way I wanted it to look.

I also began leaving comments on many of the blogs I read.  If someone takes time and energy to post something, and “if” I find it interesting, I’m happy to leave a comment.  And if I leave a nice comment regarding one of their loved ones…..I mean it.   I’m not just “kissing butt”. 

I also decided somewhere along the way, and I do not remember when, to write from my heart and from my experience.  I do not “pander to the audience” just to get a comment.  To me that would just be phony.  I love getting comments like everyone else and I also enjoy seeing my “Follower” list grow, but those aren’t the most important things in writing a blog.  The most important thing for me is the sharing of ideas, photos, information and our life stories.  I feel I’ve lucked out on finding a wonderful community of RV bloggers out there in the world.  Most of you we’ll never meet, unfortunately, but the community of people still exists online if nowhere else.   Just like Mike and Gerri posted, I read your blogs so that I can know more about YOU.  Not just where you’ve traveled or how you’re traveling, but maybe “why” you traveled there.  What makes YOU tick?  What do YOU like?  What do YOU do when you are not out in your RV? 

                                       Coming in for a landing on the speedboat.DSCF3618  

As I posted yesterday, our blog exists to share the stories of our lives as travelers and about our times with our family.  And thanks for the comments on that by folks that do enjoy reading that stuff.  I know a lot of people read that never post a comment…and that is OK, too.  Thanks all the same for reading!  Much appreciated.

I want to also thank all of you bloggers, since I’ve learned so much from you.  However, there are 2 particular people that I have learned the most from.  For me they have been blogging gurus.  From Rick (maybe a genius) I have learned a lot about the technical aspects of the whole blogging business.  Invaluable assistance…and I thank YOU.  From Bayfield Al I have learned a lot about photography and how to edit my pics to make them look better.  I enjoy just drooling over the pics on his blog.  Again, invaluable assistance…and I thank YOU.  

So, let’s all make nice and just enjoy reading, following or leaving comments if the mood strikes you.  Believe me, I’m reading all of YOU out there whether I leave a comment daily or not. 

Remember Rick Nelson the next time you write out a new post.  “you have to please yourself”. 

Until next time…..so long for now!

14 comments:

Gypsy said...

You said it very well, Margie. But then you say everything well, which is why it's such a joy to read your blog.

Happytrails said...

Thanks for the post, we have always appreciated the sincerity in your blogs. We have always enjoyed reading about you and Bruce and your family whether you are traveling or being close to family. We are who we are and we learn so much from each other.
take care and be safe!
Mike & Gerri

Rick said...

Margie, you can't say it any better than what you did in tonight's blog. Congratulations, it's just excellent! The "Garden Party" was a perfect analogy too. This post is a keeper!

Thanks for the very kind shout-out too, however, when I excitedly called Paulette down to my computer to show her that someone actually thought I might be a "genius", let's just say she "almost gagged"!!

Just goes to prove your point - "you can't please everyone"!!

Karyn-Lee said...

I think it's the "rawness" of your blog, the honesty in your campsite reviews that keeps me coming back.

I like your blog, don't change (and that's not kissing butt either :)))

Cheers!

Al Bossence said...

Rick Nelson also had another song entitled, Traveling Man. I think we bloggers fit into that one somewhere too. Thanks for the 'shout out' & all's I can say is....awwww shucks:)) I always enjoy reading posts with honest thoughts & feelings in them. Ya did good Margie, ya did real good.....

Carol K said...

Margie, this was a great post. You always say things so well and your sincerity is apparent. That's one of the reasons that so many of us enjoy meeting you in person. Your blog makes us want to know you! And in a way, we DO know you because of your blog. Yours is the best kind of blog! Keep on blogging and we'll keep on reading!!

MargieAnne said...

If I had to delete 90% of the blogs I read and follow, yours would not be in the cut. Through you I discovered the RV Blogging Community. It is very precious to me.

Apart from that I love reading your posts, every one of them. I don't think there's been one I have not appreciated.

It's OK to blush and I really, really mean it. I guess it's when we try to be someone else or become a people pleaser that we lose ourselves. Not good.

Writing from the heart is a great way to grow strong and we are all doing that.

Keep on Blogging as you go whether it's Tumwater or someplace on the road.



“But it’s all right now, I’ve learned my lesson well

You see, you can’t please everyone, so you’ve got to please yourself”

That's why we Blog/Journal.

Sue and Doug said...

great post and great analogy!..it is all a personal preference!.

Phyllis said...

Enjoy your posts. Enjoy your comments! Thanks.

Also, thanks to Rick who just gave me my first outloud chuckle for the day.

BTW, tell us - are those pics of you and Bruce parachuting???

Cindy said...

Whoo-hoo....I am home!! Full internet!! I can read and see pictures on blogs....and the comment..lol

I have soooo missed reading what you have bee up to..I think I will take three blogs a day and start back reading!!!

Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

Jerry and Suzy said...

Yes, you said it well, and nearly everyone else has said it their own way too. Now it's time to stop saying it and just do it.

Travels with Emma said...

Yep, you have to please yourself, and each of us does that in our own way. The RV blogging community keeps me company. :)

Dennis and Donna said...

Wow...that was deep. I find it very hard to take anything seriously, but I SERIOUSLY loved your blog! Lots of thought went into that one..I have never been accused of putting "lots of thought" into anything...But every once in a while I write poetry..and believe it or not..it's serious stuff. Your blog made me think...and believe me...that is ONE SCARY THING!!

Ali Workentin said...

Great post Margie. It is so good to get caught up with you all. With our schedule with the carnival I am finding I only get to read blogs one maybe two days a week.

Take care and continue your great writing and pictures. You take very clear pictures...am hoping I can do as well.