Thursday, September 2, 2010

Eat Your Veggies…..Mom Said!

Mom always said to eat your veggies.  I told that to my kids, too, but with one of them it just didn’t take.  I did try.  We have no problem getting some nice fresh vegetables into our daily menu, especially if they come from the Olympia Farmer's Market. 

DSCF6301

Since moving to Olympia, Washington in 1994, we have made trips to the downtown Farmer’s Market on a fairly regular basis.  They have a great supply of organically grown fruits and vegetables that are the freshest you will find. 

DSCF6304

This farmer’s market is probably the best in the state of Washington, although I haven’t been to every market.  I just don’t see how the produce at any market could be any better than you will find here. 

DSCF6308

The market is open Thursday thru Sunday from April thru October and then during November and December it is open Saturday and Sunday only.  You can find fresh baked goods, honey, soaps and lotions, and hand made items like tote bags and T-shirts.  Plus…..lots of beautiful, fresh flowers and nursery plants.

DSCF6305

DSCF6307

Top quality apples from Washington’s famous apple country, like this Gingergold variety.  They are really good.  Peaches and pears were plentiful, too.

DSCF6302

DSCF6300

There is usually plenty of free, live entertainment to keep you toe-tapping while you shop or stop to eat a quick meal.  There are a few food stands available and long tables to sit in the shade and enjoy your selection.

DSCF6296

After you enjoy shopping for your produce and flowers, you can stroll along the Fiddlehead Marina nearby and admire all the beautiful boats docked there.  There are also a couple of “fine dining” restaurants in the immediate area if you prefer one of those. 

DSCF6276

Bruce and I have walked to this market a couple of times from our old stix-and-bricks or now from our part-time location with the RV.  It is about a 5 1/2 mile walk and we usually go one way and take the intercity transit bus back to our home.  We had hoped to do that again this summer, but never seemed to have the energy. 

DSCF6310

Countdown to “blast off” = 5 more days

Until next time……so long for now!

17 comments:

Karyn-Lee said...

Farmer's markets are a great place to get fresh veggies. I feel bad though, I have been allergic to fruit since I was 3 years old (I take alot of pills to compensate), but I sure love the veggies you can get from the markets!
We have a great market here, they will be closing up shop soon, probably head over there Saturday morning to stock up!

Cheers!

JB said...

I came, I saw, I went

If we are ever in the area we will try this market.

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

We really enjoy veggies, wherever we can find them fresh.

Karen and Al said...

That looks like a wonderful farmers market and in such a pretty location.

Dennis and Donna said...

God's gardens...too many people don't eat this stuff!!!

Along the Way with JnK said...

Absolutely terrific photos, makes me hungry looking at all that fresh fruits and veges!

Margie and Roger said...

The photos of the fruit, veggies and flowers were really nice! Makes me want to go buy a peach tomorrow.

pidge said...

I hope you bought a big bunch of those flowers. They make you happy just to look at them.

Cindy said...

Oh my..this makes me want to go get my dehydrator out and start saving the bounty of summer again!!
What a gorgeous place..and your pictures are so vivid!!

Cindy and Walker

Sue and Doug said...

peachy photos today!!!.we are counting down with you!!..can't wait to read all about your new adventures!!

Gypsy said...

Wonder where your energy went this summer, Margie! Those kids kept you hoppin'.

Happytrails said...

Those veggies look delicious!! Very nice farmers market!
We love to eat our veggies but we can't find any that pretty here. Wish we could.

Mike & Gerri (happytrails)

Carol K said...

Yes, Mom, I will eat those vegetables any time. Wonderful pictures! It's funny, when I was growing up on our farm we had a huge garden and I hated most vegetables. But now, as an adult, when I have to buy all our food, I like most vegetables. My husband, however, is a meat and potatoes guy.

Travels with Emma said...

Send me some of those tomatoes will you? I'm going to try the farmer's market in Burn, OR, on Saturday morning. I sure hope they have tomatoes, I finished my last one tonight. :(

Rick said...

Great, healthy photos today!! Looks to be a great market to shop at. And yes, I do remember being told to "eat my veggies"! In fact, Paulette still reminds me once in a while!

Jerry and Suzy said...

In our little corner of Cochise County there are few farmer's markets, but there is one on autumn Saturday mornings in St. David, just 7 miles south. Haven't been there yet, but your photos have given us impetus to get up and go!

Freely Living Life said...

Olympia Farmer's Market looks delightful! So much healthy goodness to choose from! Excellent pictures of the beautiful array of fresh fruits and veggies. Thanks for sharing! =)