Friday, September 3, 2010

And We’re Walking……

(TUMWATER, WA)  The only thing we missed during our babysitting days was our early morning walk.  We enjoy getting exercise by walking, preferably before breakfast.  Since our “summer job” is now over, we’ve been able to get out for our 1 hour walk each day.  At the pace we walk, we go about 3 3/4 to 4 miles.  It’s good for our health and if we walk 6 days a week, that adds up to about 90 miles in 4 weeks.  Not too shabby.

Here in Tumwater we can just head out of our RV park and into the town.  It’s an easy walk.  In some places we stay the safe walking opportunities are limited.  Then we are stuck just making loops within the campground or park….boring!!!

Costco is right across the street (Littlerock Road) from our park entrance and we cut through their parking lot to the street behind it.  Now the view is quite different as the trees have been cut down to make way for the new Walmart store. 

                                                           It has taken years to get approval for this store.DSCF6425

A lot of citizens here in Tumwater waged major protests when Walmart began the permit application process for this store.  Funny though, I don’t remember much protesting at all when Costco, Home Depot and Fred Meyer were being considered.  Just as many trees were knocked down (if not more) to make way for those 3 big box stores as is going on now with Walmart.  Small local grocery stores and the Ace Hardware were hit hard by those stores opening, yet I don’t remember a majority of folks sticking up for those smaller businesses.  Whatever.

Anywho….we walk down behind Costco and Home Depot to the pedestrian bridge that goes over Interstate 5.  We may see one other person out walking at this hour of the morning (6:45) but normally it’s just us.

DSCF6409

We were too late for any good sunrise photos today, but sometimes when we get up on this bridge the sunrise is beautiful.  Most of the time, I don’t walk with my camera so I’ve missed those opportunities.

DSCF6411

                                                           Up and over the interstate we go.DSCF6412

Once we get over the interstate, we walk through a residential area.  We go by one house with a lovely yard and during the summer there are a lot of flowers there.  By this time of the summer the blooms are beginning to wane, but there were many good lookers still flowering.

                                                          Even with my limited knowledge, I believe these are dahlias.DSCF6413

DSCF6414

A few weeks ago this garden had many sunflowers in perfect bloom.  Today I had a difficult time finding a good one to shoot.

DSCF6415

 

                                                           Some days I feel like this sunflower looks.DSCF6416

We continue walking east on Dennis Street toward Capital Blvd.  Today there is little traffic and the walk is nice and quiet.  The state workers are off today for the Labor Day weekend holiday.

                                                          It’s not raining, we’re dodging a sprinkler system.DSCF6419

Continuing north on Capital we pass our favorite McDonald’s hang out when we are here in Tumwater.  We can’t stop now, but we’ll be back in a couple of hours for some English muffins and coffee. 

DSCF6421

We get to Trosper Road and make a left turn heading back toward our RV home.  But first, we have to cross back over the Interstate.  It’s been a good walk and we haven’t had to wait for any red lights. 

                                                           See….light traffic flow just like I told you.DSCF6424

In just short of an hour (54 minutes exactly) we got back to our motorhome.  Not a bad walk even though I slowed us down by taking a few pics.  Thanks for walking along with us and I hope you enjoyed your exercise.

We have a few plans for our remaining days here:

Today:  a few small errands, Annie gets a haircut, Bruce sees the ear doctor

Saturday:  house cleaning, early prep for “blast off”, a trip to Costco for supplies

Sunday:  church and then ?????

Monday:  last minute errands, family dinner over at Stephanie and Darin’s house to say good-bye for a while

Tuesday:  dentist appointments, and then “blast off” for Wilsonville, OR and the Camping World store

Until next time…..so long for now!

21 comments:

JB said...

I came, I saw, I went

And enjoyed my morning walk while I was here.

Gypsy said...

That was a great shot of the poor bedraggled sunflower. I look and feel like that most of the time in the Sacramento heat.

pidge said...

We love to walk too. I think it is about the safest exercise you can get at our age. Gets your juices flowing and all that.

Al Bossence said...

It's the early morning walks I always enjoy best. And the closer to sunrise it is the better lighting it is for taking photos.

Karen and Al said...

What a nice place for a walk.

Some days I LOOK like the Sunflowers too!

Barb said...

Sounds like a nice walk. I had to laugh at the poor drooping sunflower photo. There are days we ALL feel like that. Too funny!
Barbara

Roadrunner Chronicles said...

Good for you! I like all the walking--no wonder you guys are so fit and healthy. Nice pics too!

Along the Way with JnK said...

All the flowers photos were fabulous but my favorite was the weeping sunflowers...know exactly how it feels!

Kathy said...

Whew, I'm pooped! Can I take my shoes off now? Just kiddin'.
What a great start to a beautiful day!
Kathy

Kenny And Angela's Adventure said...

Sounds like your getting your groove back..

Rick said...

Thanks for taking me on your walk this morning with all the great pics. I don't know about you, but I'm so tired now I just might have to take a nap!

Travels with Emma said...

Margie, Several months ago, I think you did a post on making up calendars for yourself and the grands. Do you use a particular program to make those calendars? I have found it impossible over the last three months to buy a 2010 calendar. All that is available is 2011. I really lose track of what day it is without a calendar posted. :)

Vera said...

I am so glad that there is no Costco close by, it saves me money and is good for my waistline. It was hard for me to bypass the cheese isle yesterday when I shopped at Costco.
We walk too but not nearly as far as you. Shame on us and good for you!

Sue and Doug said...

thanks for the walk!!..looked like it was a pretty nice day in Tumwater!!..love the droopy sunflower..I have been feeling like that poor flower lately..!

Carol K said...

How fun to get to go along on a walk with you Bruce! I know what you mean about it slowing you down to snap some photos. :) I liked all your pictures, and really enjoyed the drooping sunflower picture and your caption!

Margie and Roger said...

Sounds like we can all relate to the droopy sunflower. Isn't it great to be free to just take a walk and enjoy the everyday things of life. It's one of the best parts of retirement.

Freely Living Life said...

We love to get out for our walks as well! Thanks for sharing this lovely walk with us. =)

Sam&Donna Weibel said...

After finishing that walk I felt a lot better. Now I can take Rigg's to the Doggie Park and get more exercise. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

Jerry and Suzy said...

Those definitely were dahlias. My parents grew fabulous dahlias at their home in San Lorenzo, Ca -- perfect climate for them. They would go to dahlia shows and dahlia farms to get the best plants (not bulbs, maybe corms?) and spent a lot of time with their dahlias. Thanks for showing us these two lovely reminders!

Dennis and Donna said...

Thanks for the morning walk...That's when we do ours too...Mornings are my favorite time...

Ali Workentin said...

Great post with pictures. Hey we are going to Wilsonville Camping World on our way from Salem to Puyallup on Tuesday. Who knows maybe we will be there at the same time. I will look in the parking lot to see if you are there.

If we miss you, have a great trip to CA.