The day just didn't turn out like we'd planned...but it was Friday the 13th after all. We woke up like we do every morning (thank God) and after brushing our teeth we began making our bed. When we take the bedspread off at night, I put it up on the chair in the living room until morning. This morning when I went to get the spread to put on the bed, it was wet!
It had been raining a lot the past week and especially hard last night. Yesterday, when I was doing my house cleaning, I found a small wet spot behind the living room chair back in the corner. I know all about condensation in RV homes and all of that as we had dealt with it all last winter. This wet spot didn't seem to be overly large, so I chalked it up to condensation and made a mental note to watch that area closely. But when I found the bedspread to be wet this morning....and it had been in the vicinity of that wet carpet, I knew we had a problem.
Bruce came in and looked above the chair and found a drip of water up on the bottom rim of the slide-out. Oh no, this was what we thought we had taken care of at the Winnebago factory last August. Readers of this blog may remember that we spent 11 whole days in August getting both of our slide-outs removed and rebuilt due to water damage. Winnebago offers a 90-day warranty after factory work. So quick....grab the calendar....oh no....we were about a week past the warranty period.
No matter, Bruce called the Winnie factory ASAP. He explained the situation to the service manager in Iowa. He was told that Winnebago would extend the warranty to cover damage repair "if" an authorized Winnebago service center looked at the leak, assessed it and called to report the findings. OK..fair enough and we quickly prepared for a 25 mile drive south to Chehalis and the Uhlmann's RV Center.
We met with Josh at Uhlmann's and he wrote up the service order and had the tech drive the RV back to check things out. We waited. After a while he came out to say that it appeared to only be a problem with the sealant and that it could be fixed in about 4 hours time. He had called the factory and got permission to do it as a warranty claim. Whew! We were hoping for that outcome, but again, it was Friday the 13th.
We sat around in the customer waiting area for a little over 4 hours. Annie and Bruce watched NCIS reruns on the television and so they were happy.
When it was time to get our wonderful RV home turned back over to us, we were ready to hit the road. It was getting late and we wanted to get back to our RV park and get set up before total darkness arrived. The bill for the repair work was $250.00 and I'm so happy we did not have to pay it. Yippee! So Friday the 13th wasn't totally unlucky for us in the end.
Until next time.....so long for now!
A quick update
4 hours ago