Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Just Ducky

I noticed today that there were 2 new “Follower’s” listed on my dashboard.  I’m not sure exactly when they joined my group of Follower’s, but I appreciate you both very much.  Welcome aboard to mactraveler and  maglaveer.  I would like to extend a big THANK YOU and let you know that I appreciate the attention you give to reading my blog.

Our current location:  Tumwater, Washington

When in Tumwater, we stay at a very old mobile home park that has some RV sites for monthly rent.  It works for us.  We have become friendly with many of the residents since we return to the same location a few times during the year.   

Yesterday when I was taking Annie for a walk, our next door neighbor (don’t know her name yet) was in her front yard.  I stopped to talk with her for a while and I noticed this little white critter in a special seat on the lawn.  It was a white duck.

                                            This is our neighbor’s house next door to our RV space.DSCF5852

I inquired about this little duck and learned that his name is Honey.  Ms. Neighbor has had him for a few years.  He is impaired and has been since birth.  She got him from a local feed store when they had some ducks they were going to sell.  Nobody wanted Honey and he was just about ready to be destroyed because he was considered useless.  Ms. Neighbor took him home with her that day.

She takes good care of him.  Like I said, she had constructed this little seat for him to be able to come outdoors and enjoy the sunshine.  Honey cannot walk or hold his head upright.  Apparently, this problem developed in the egg when he wasn’t turned over enough.  (don’t know anything about this egg stuff myself)  Ms. Neighbor has taken him to the vet and there is nothing physically wrong with him….he has 2 legs and 2 webbed feet.  He also has 2 wings.  The vet said he is not in pain and appeared to be happy.  I guess you could say Honey is mentally challenged and his brain did not develop fully. 

Ms. Neighbor even bought him his own wading pool and brings him out in the nice weather to let him splash around in the water.  Annie saw him and watched with interest.  While we watched Honey, it looked like he was having a great swim.

                                            Ms. Neighbor helps Honey in the water so he doesn’t drown.DSCF5849

Honey is able to splash and swim a little bit by himself.  He cannot hold his head upright and float like a normal duck does.  He even quacked a couple of times.  I’m sure he was saying, “Yippee, I’m in the pond like every other duck!”

                                            His poor little head stays tucked down by his body.DSCF5850

                                            Honey kicked his little webbed feet all around the pool.DSCF5851
After we watched for several minutes, Annie grew tired of waiting for the rest of her walk, and we moved on around the corner.  Ms. Neighbor was really devoted to this little deformed duck.  How wonderful that she cared enough to save him from a certain death. 

Honey has been a very good pet for my neighbor.  She also has a couple of “perfect” cats and they get along well with the duck.  Thank goodness there is somebody in the world willing to care for the imperfect animals as well as the perfect ones.  

Until next time….so long for now!

17 comments:

Happytrails said...

Amen!! I so agree....what a wonderful lady your neighbor is. Isn't it great to be loved even if we aren't perfect?? The story made me so happy! :-)

Take care!
Mike & Gerri (happytrails)

Cindy said...

Cute story!!What dedication!!

Cindy and Walker

Rick said...

That is incredible "feel good" story Margie. It's great to know that there are still a lot of caring folks around willing to look after animals - even ducks!

I'm guessing that duck has had a lot better life than a lot of other regular ducks have had!

Travels with Emma said...

If you take the time to look, you can find great people doing nice things all over the place! Here's to your neighbor! :)

Sue and Doug said...

a litte duck saviour!!..what a good neighbour!!!

Jessica Riker said...

Your neighbor is really something - sounds like a very giving person. :) It's always nice to hear a story about someone who goes above and beyond the "norm." There are more of them out there than we know I think. :)

Sam&Donna Weibel said...

What an inspiring story, Good for the neighbor, ducks need fun too. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

Karen and Al said...

It's so nice to hear about people like Ms. Neighbor. Bless her and the little duck.

Dennis and Donna said...

An amazing woman, your neighbor...She is a saint..

Phyllis said...

And I bet that little fella is feeling just ducky.

JODI said...

It is kind of sad looking at Honey in the pool laying on his side unable to swim like all the other ducks. Then you have to realize it is a story of true friendship. In the end he is one lucky ducky.

Prettypics123 said...

What a slice! Thanks Margie. Drop by Levonne's Pretty Pics and A Camp Host Housewife's Meanderings when you have a few minutes. I'd love to hear what you think of my newer work.

Kenny And Angela's Adventure said...

What a great story in these trying times around the world.. Thanks

Lin said...

What a sweet story!! Someone just sent me the link to your blog and it just warmed my heart to read about your neighbor and her duck. Gees, I think I'd be doing the same thing as I have a soft spot for all the creatures of this good green earth--well, except for spiders. I don't like spiders.

Look how happy that little duck is!! :)

ThE MidLiFe CrUiSeR said...

Oh, I love your neighbor! That's the kind of person who you can turn to for anything. What a nice lady!

Al Bossence said...

Always so great to hear a story like this. I have always had a place in my heart for animal underdogs. My Mother brought home a small crippled dog from Chicago one time when I was very small. That little fellow was with us for 14 years & I don't think our little Tiny Tim ever even knew he was crippled.

KarenInTheWoods said...

What a wonderful duck tale (tail?)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Karen and Steve
(Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/