Sunday, March 22, 2009

Miscellaneous reports from the road....

Note: I try my best to get my text a certain way and use paragraph indention and so forth. I also try to get any photos placed where I want them to be. Well, it all looks great while I'm typing and then sometimes when I click "Publish Post" the thing morphs into something different. Sorry for any inconvenience or lack of continuity....I'll keep trying!

Thursday, March 19:

We left Amarillo, Texas this morning and headed east toward Oklahoma. There was a stiff breeze blowing (anybody say tornado?) as we left the area. Typical for Amarillo and the wide open spaces of Texas. We drove out I-40 and before we got to the OK state line we saw a big billboard for the "Jesus Is Lord Truckstop, where never a swear word is spoken". That is nice but we didn't see it and we didn't need fuel yet anyway. We got into Oklahoma City in the mid-afternoon and got fuel at the Flying J. It was only $1.73 a gallon...yeehaw! We found a spot off to the far side of their parking lot and stayed for the night. There were about 3 other RV's doing the same.

Friday and Saturday, March 20 & 21:

We didn't travel too far on Friday and we got to the town of Checotah in Oklahoma. We arranged for a campsite for 2 nights at the Terra Starr RV Park. It was a great place right on Lake Eufaula. It is early in the season yet so the place was almost empty. After we checked in, a nice lady came and invited us to the clubhouse for some couple's anniversary party. That was nice of her. We did not take her up on the offer but it was so friendly of her anyway.

On Saturday it rained off and on all day so we just stayed indoors. I got a chance to catch up on all the laundry and do some work in my photo album project. There was a group tornado shelter situated directly behind our motorhome. That was either a comforting thought or an eerie one....depending on your point of view. There were lots of birds in the trees here just singing their little hearts out. I don't know my flora from my fauna so I was at a loss as to what type of birds they were. It was a pretty sound and it seemed they were announcing the arrival of spring.

Sunday, March 22:

Left Terra Starr park this morning and got back onto I-40 heading for Little Rock, Arkansas. Arkansas....Home of Tyson Chicken, WalMart and the Arkansas Razorbacks. As we drove along the highway the scenery was getting a lot greener than it had been in Texas and Oklahoma. The trees here are leafing out and really looking pretty.

Just before we got to Little Rock we passed a turn off to Toad Suck Park. Huh? I looked that up on the internet and it said that the local legend reports that Toad Suck was a popular spot for bargemen on the river to pull over and drink rum and moonshine. They are said to have sucked on bottles of rum until they swelled up like toads. There you go...Toad Suck!

Just outside Little Rock we located a WalMart for tonight. We got parked and went into the store and bought some groceries. Tomorrow morning we are driving over to the William Jefferson Clinton Presidential Library. We love historical places, especially all thing presidential. So, no matter our opinion of Clinton as a president or a man, we will not pass up an opportunity to see this library. The architecture is supposed to be wonderful. I'll take a couple of photos for a future posting.

No comments: